Online Personalized Professional Learning on Digital Citizenship
Many teachers do not have a deep knowledge about, nor skills Digital CitizenshipAs districts set expectations they will need foundational information about the Digital Citizen for all teachers, more advanced courses with the skills that require performance tasks, and a method for tracking the teachers’ progress in attaining such knowledge and skills.
Metiri provides custom cohorts of teachers and administrators with facilitated, tiered, online, micro-credentialed learning that address Digital Citizenship. The first tier will involve earning a badge at the knowledge level. The 2nd tier will use the same foundational knowledge, but will focus on classroom application/performance tasks related to this skill.
As background, Metiri and ISTE have partnered to provide a series of online personalized professional learning for teachers and administrators that address 21st Century skills and ISTE standards. One of those online courses addresses the Digital Citizen ISTE standard. Metiri will offer tiered, facilitated access to that online course. The resources for the course are made available to users for a year from the date of registration.
The online course enables participants to earn two types of badges.
- Knowledge Badge: This badge demonstrates completion of the courses and the attainment of a deep knowledge level of the skills addressed in the course.
- Performance Badge: This badge demonstrates completion of the course and the capacity to apply the concepts to learning environments in schools and classrooms. This badge would be earned by joining facilitated discussions on how to apply the skills to the classroom, and participants would be required to submit a performance task and meet expectations from an application rubric.
The two Tiers of Badges for the Digital Citizen course will enable the districts to track their teachers’ progress in attaining background knowledge on the skills and the capacity to apply that knowledge to their learning environment. Metiri will provide online accounts to the course for the teachers and administrators that sign up. Metiri will facilitate discussions and, where appropriate, guide the performance tasks as participants work their way through the online courses. The Tier 1 experience will be in cohorts, either formed by the district, or organized by Metiri across districts. Tier 2 could be in cohorts or the individual could complete the performance task on their own.
Tier 1: For the knowledge level badge cohorts will participate in:
- An orientation webinar to introduce each cohort of teachers to the online course/resources.
- Facilitated Twitter Chats to address questions and engage in dialog with specific prompts for reflection.
- Real-time reflections on the coursework will be captured through the use of a FlipGrid room.
- Tools for lesson and unit design, through which participants will be able to contribute reflections using digital tools that can be shared with local peers.
- A set of rubrics for the 21st Century skills addressed (1-year license). Note: the 1-year license to the rubrics will be available in this package and separately.
- An online knowledge-based assessment that must be passed to earn the badge.
Tier 2: For the course, the performance level badge can be earned as follows:
- Individuals could log into any of the courses they had completed, to register for the Performance Task Badge. They would then be notified of upcoming Cohorts and/or collaborative discussions related to application of the skills addressed in that course. When they were ready, they would complete and submit the performance task under the guidance of Metiri or on their own. Metiri would then score the performance tasks, provide feedback if necessary and, when appropriate, approve the Performance Task Badge.
ISTE and Metiri Group co-authored the courses, and they are currently in use in 13 different countries and 27 states by K12 educators and leaders.